NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Intel's (INTC) investment in privately held Cloudera may be creating interest in Internet security firms among other companies that are involved in cloud computing, or the business of hosting data on remote servers.
In March, Intel invested $740 million in Cloudera, a company that sells software used to process reams of data, for an 18% stake. That was part of a $900 million funding round. This week, Cloudera splashed out some of that cash on Gazzang, which offers encryption of data housed on remote servers.
Cloudera's acquisition of Gazzang should put investors' eyes on security companies that have beaten-down stocks and that have a cloud angle, such as Barracuda Networks (CUDA), FireEye (FEYE) and even Symantec (SYMC).
>>Read More: Intel Turns to Rockchip to Scale the Great Wall of China's Tablet Market >>Read More: Clorox Insider Trading or More Golf Course Chatter? >>Read More: Interpublic Is a Cash-Flow Cow At the time of publication, the author owned shares in Amazon and Google. Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV