ATLANTA, June 4, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Springfield Water and Sewer Commission (the "Commission") recently engaged Echologics to benchmark the capabilities of non-invasive acoustic technologies in isolating small leaks on a 59-inch steel water main.
Echologics, an affiliate of Mueller Co., is a developer and provider of acoustic-based technologies for water loss management, leak detection and pipe condition assessment. It is part of the Mueller Water Products, Inc. (NYSE:MWA) group of companies.
As part of its mission to provide an adequate, uninterrupted, high-quality supply of water to its customers, the Commission, which serves more than 250,000 residents of Pioneer Valley and Springfield, Massachusetts, employs a proactive leak detection program for buried water assets.The Commission used EchoWave™, Echologics' transmission main leak detection solution, in 2010 to verify the presence of leaks on three transmission mains, including on a span of more than 2,000 feet across the Connecticut River. During that project, Echologics identified small joint leaks on a 60" pre-stressed concrete cylinder pipe main, enabling the Commission to repair the leak and avoid a potential catastrophic main break. Based on this success, the Commission asked Echologics to benchmark the capabilities of different non-invasive acoustic technologies for isolating leaks on transmission mains, since it had found standard commercial leak correlators to be ineffective on large-diameter mains. The goal of the engagement was to determine the smallest flow rate of a simulated leak that could be accurately located. Three equipment variants were used to perform the testing:
- The Commission's current leak noise correlator
- Echologics' LeakFinderRT™ correlator, currently marketed and sold directly to water utilities for distribution main leak detection
- Echologics' EchoWave solution, using the LeakFinderRT platform but equipped with specialized sensors, signal conditioning units, and advanced software only available through Echologics
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts