NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- PVH
(PVH) shares are falling, down -5.4% to $123.70, in after-hours trading following the release of the company's first quarter earning results.
The Tommy Hilfiger and Calvin Klein apparel company reported first quarter earnings per share of $1.47, a 30% drop from last year's mark of $1.91 per diluted share, and 1 cent short of analysts consensus estimates.
Revenue for the quarter was up 4% from the year ago period to $1.964 billion, falling short of Wall Street's $2 billion forecast.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
TheStreet Ratings team rates PVH CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate PVH CORP (PVH) a BUY. This is driven by multiple strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, good cash flow from operations, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, expanding profit margins and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income."Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- PVH's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 16.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 25.4%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $357.94 million or 25.96% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, PVH CORP's cash flow growth rate is still lower than the industry average growth rate of 62.40%.
- The gross profit margin for PVH CORP is rather high; currently it is at 55.98%. Regardless of PVH's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, PVH's net profit margin of -1.82% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- PVH's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.92 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Regardless of the somewhat mixed results with the debt-to-equity ratio, the company's quick ratio of 0.88 is weak.
- PVH CORP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past two years. However, we anticipate this trend to reverse over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PVH CORP reported lower earnings of $1.71 versus $5.87 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($7.50 versus $1.71).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: PVH Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts