3 Stocks Pushing The Industrial Goods Sector Lower
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.The Industrial Goods sector as a whole was unchanged today versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.2%. Laggards within the Industrial Goods sector included Taylor Devices (TAYD), down 2.1%, LGL Group (LGL), down 2.2%, Intelligent Systems (INS), down 2.1%, Asia Pacific Wire & Cable (APWC), down 1.9% and Integrated Electrical Services (IESC), down 2.3%.TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the sector lower today:Aegion (AEGN) is one of the companies that pushed the Industrial Goods sector lower today. Aegion was down $1.31 (5.6%) to $22.17 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 414,855 shares of Aegion exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 208,900 shares. The stock ranged in price between $21.94-$23.02 after having opened the day at $22.74 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $23.48. Aegion Corporation is engaged in the research and development, manufacture, installation, coating and insulation, cathodic protection, distribution, and licensing of proprietary technologies and services for the protection and maintenance of infrastructure worldwide. Aegion has a market cap of $913.7 million and is part of the materials & construction industry. Shares are up 7.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. Currently there are 4 analysts who rate Aegion a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreet Ratings rates Aegion as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, increase in net income, increase in stock price during the past year and growth in earnings per share. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity.Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on AEGN go as follows:
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 12.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 35.5%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.54, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. To add to this, AEGN has a quick ratio of 2.40, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Construction & Engineering industry. The net income increased by 62.1% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $2.71 million to $4.40 million.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- AEGION CORP has improved earnings per share by 33.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, AEGION CORP reported lower earnings of $1.30 versus $1.37 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.62 versus $1.30).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV