3 Stocks Moving The Chemicals Industry Upward
- SHLM's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 11.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 14.2%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is somewhat low, currently at 0.60, and is less than that of the industry average, implying that there has been a relatively successful effort in the management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.13, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- SCHULMAN (A.) INC's earnings per share declined by 46.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past two years. However, we anticipate this trend to reverse over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SCHULMAN (A.) INC reported lower earnings of $1.11 versus $1.75 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.28 versus $1.11).
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. The stock's price rise over the last year has driven it to a level which is somewhat expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- The gross profit margin for SCHULMAN (A.) INC is currently extremely low, coming in at 14.77%. Regardless of SHLM's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, SHLM's net profit margin of 1.16% is significantly lower than the industry average.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts