NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- American Realty Capital Properties (ARCP) shares are dropping, down -2% to 12.48, following reports that one of its largest stakeholders is not happy with its increased acquisition plans.
Marcato Capital Management sent the company a letter stating in part that "The company is engaging in too many transformative transactions too quickly," and that "ARCP should pause on large-scale transaction activity and give investors a chance to see multiple quarters of clean financial results."
Marcato, which owns 21.8 million shares of ARCP, objects to the firm increasing its acquisition target for the year from $3 billion to $4.5 billion.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
TheStreet Ratings team rates AMERICAN RLTY CAP PPTY INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate AMERICAN RLTY CAP PPTY INC (ARCP) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, growth in earnings per share and notable return on equity. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, weak operating cash flow and a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself."Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- ARCP's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 10.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 647.4%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- AMERICAN RLTY CAP PPTY INC has improved earnings per share by 27.4% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, AMERICAN RLTY CAP PPTY INC reported poor results of -$2.30 versus -$0.47 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$1.87 versus -$2.30).
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, AMERICAN RLTY CAP PPTY INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$106.13 million or 1466.66% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 118.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$141.16 million to -$308.68 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: ARCP Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV