COLUMBIA, S.C., June 4, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Aflac, the leading provider of voluntary insurance in the United States, presented its first 2014 Duckprints Awards to local ( South Carolina) heroes for their commitment in the fight against childhood cancer. The event, held at Palmetto Health Children's Hospital in Columbia, South Carolina, recognized three individuals and families who have dedicated themselves to helping improve treatment and seeking a cure for children's cancer.
The three Aflac Duckprints Award recipients at Palmetto Health Children's Hospital are:
- Rob and Risha Teal — Parents of Bayler Teal, who lost his fight with cancer at age seven. Rob and Risha remain committed to fighting the fight and created an endowment at Palmetto Health Foundation in Bayler's memory.
- Dr. Kevin McRedmond — Former pediatric hematologist/oncologist at Palmetto Health Children's Hospital; now chief medical officer at Hands of Hope, Hospice Care of South Carolina.
- Harold Bessent — Long-time donor and fundraiser for CAMP KEMO, led by Palmetto Health Children's Hospital.
Hosting today's event was MSNBC news anchor and NBC news correspondent Craig Melvin, who hails from Columbia, S.C. Melvin spent a portion of his journalism career in Columbia. In early 2013, Craig's three-year-old niece Jasmine was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer called Ewing's Sarcoma. Complications put Jasmine in a Washington, D.C. children's hospital for nearly three months, and only six months following the diagnosis, Jasmine died.
"Unfortunately, my family has significant and painful experiences with childhood cancer, which makes it very personal for us," Mr. Melvin said. "But you don't have to experience this terrible disease to see its impact and to make it your personal mission to help stamp out childhood cancer."
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts