Weak ADP Report Shows Housing Is Still No. 1 Problem for Economy
The case that it can't is rooted mostly in soft new-home sales numbers and weak homebuilder confidence. And in lingering fears that people simply can't afford homes -- even though simple comparisons of home prices, mortgage rates, and the incomes people already have prove that isn't true.
The official Labor Department jobs report comes out Friday, and ADP's soft number doesn't necessarily mean forecasts for 215,000 new jobs are in trouble. In April, the government's number of 288,000 new jobs was 68,000 higher than ADP's.
The bottom line: The economy still looks like it's in the same band of about 200,000 jobs a month it has been in. That can still push unemployment below 6% by the year's end, or lower if the expected summer pickup happens. But the May miss reminds us yet again that we have been looking for this ever-elusive breakout to 250,000 or 300,000 jobs a month -- and the nearly full employment with at least fattish raises that kind of growth promises -- for a long time now.
At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned.Follow @timmullaney This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff. >>Read More: Boring Market? Careful What You Wish For >>Read More: Why Apple Continuity Among Its Top-Tier Products Is Great for Investors
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV