NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- While the rest of the world may be wary of bitcoin, Dish Network
(DISH) and eBay
(EBAY) have already embraced it.
A couple of days ago, eBay chief John Donahoe championed bitcoin on CNBC's 'Squawk Box'. The CEO sees bitcoin playing an integral role in the future of online payments. As you know, eBay owns Paypal.
This is a major coop for the digital currency. One wonders which big Web 2.0 names will be next to embrace the cryptocurrencies. Amazon (AMZN), perhaps?
Who will follow the path of Dish CEO Joseph Clayton, whose flubs have not gone unnoticed. The CEO claims to be a forerunner for innovation, a "disruptor". He has a taste for the experimental, the controversial even, as many of the Dish products launched under him prove. Consider the Hopper, a device that automatically removed commercials from recorded primetime programs, resulting in many lawsuits.
Soon after Dish made the Bitcoin announcement, BitFury, one of the largest Bitcoin mining companies, announced it had secured a $20 million funding, one of the largest in the Bitcoin sector yet.
eBay was down almost 1 dollar, at $49.61 midday Friday. Meanwhile, Dish was up 39 cents at $58.84. By 2:00 pm, ET, both stocks were down, as you see in the chart above.
Meanwhile, Bitcoin has been a good sprinter. It is gaining some of the credibility it once lost due to reports of its volatile nature and risk of fraud. The digi-currency now sits pretty at $655.
>> Read More: Will the eBay Password Breach Finally Scare Off Investors? Dish Network a Target After DirecTV Buy?: StockTwits
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV