A search at BestBuy gives an idea of how many more customers Google's operating system can reach, thanks to price. BestBuy offers the iPhone 5C for about $50 with a two-year Verizon (VZ) contract. If anything happens to the phone, the cost to replace it is $599.99. BestBuy offers the HTC-Droid Incredible for as low as $1 with a new two-year contract. It costs $299 to replace the device.
Google dominates the smartphone market with about an 80% share, according to a recent ABI Research report. In the first quarter, more than 187 million Droid devices shipped, about 24% more than the same period a year ago. Apple shipped just under 44 million devices, 17% more from the same period a year ago. However, ABI said Apple's growth is flattening given the relatively disappointing sales of the iPhone 5c.
Research firms have predicted that Google's share will increase. However, Google can't be complacent. Apple undoubtedly has a new phone up its sleeve -- potentially with a larger screen to better compete with Samsung's popular Galaxy phone, which runs on Droid.
That said, Google doesn't have to get upset. With 80% market share, it will likely take awhile for Google to lose its edge in mobile. At least right now, all the anti-Droid talk is mostly just jealousy.>>Read More: Coal Keeps Cool in Response to EPA Emissions Rules Intel Changes Tune With Taiwan Partners, but Will That Be Enough? Apple WWDC: What Wall Street's Saying GM, Ford Sales Jump in May as Automakers Roll Past Estimates At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV