Cramer notes Dollar General's top line and bottom line were disappointing, but the company said April was better and May is continuing to improve. He says the progression of positive numbers excites investors. Dollar General also received two analyst downgrades last week, but Goldman Sachs recommended the stock earlier. Cramer says consumers are still trading down and are still shopping at Dollar General.
Finally, Cramer suggests investors stay away from Wal-Mart (WMT). He is trying to warm up to Target (TGT) because of its dividend, but he says dollar stores, particularly Dollar General, still work. TheStreet Ratings team is also lukewarm on Target, as it rates it as a "hold" with a ratings score of C+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate TARGET CORP (TGT) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins." STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV