Watch Out: Barbarians At The Gate For CarMax (KMX)
- KMX has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $50.2 million.
- KMX has traded 1.2 million shares today.
- KMX traded in a range 213.9% of the normal price range with a price range of $1.35.
- KMX traded above its daily resistance level (quality: 19 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 19 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Barbarian at the Gate' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying positive price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, 'resistance' while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is more than twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves higher. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in KMX with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for KMX NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on KMX: CarMax, Inc., through its subsidiaries, operates as a retailer of used vehicles in the United States. It operates in two segments, CarMax Sales Operations and CarMax Auto Finance. KMX has a PE ratio of 20.5. Currently there are 6 analysts that rate CarMax a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 3 rate it a hold. The average volume for CarMax has been 1.6 million shares per day over the past 30 days. CarMax has a market cap of $9.8 billion and is part of the services sector and specialty retail industry. The stock has a beta of 1.41 and a short float of 5.8% with 10.38 days to cover. Shares are down 5.8% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates CarMax as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, good cash flow from operations and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 3.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 8.8%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 57.01% to -$120.02 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, CARMAX INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -8.53%.
- CARMAX INC' earnings per share from the most recent quarter came in slightly below the year earlier quarter. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CARMAX INC increased its bottom line by earning $2.17 versus $1.87 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.46 versus $2.17).
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Specialty Retail industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, CARMAX INC has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 2.29 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio is weak, KMX's quick ratio is somewhat strong at 1.10, demonstrating the ability to handle short-term liquidity needs.
- You can view the full CarMax Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.