NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Bank of America says it mistakenly inflated the size of its dark pool and reported the incorrect information to the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, according to Bloomberg.
Bank of America (BAC) said it mistakenly inflated the size of its dark pool and reported the incorrect information to the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, according to Bloomberg.Just a day after Finra reported data on the size of alternative trading systems for the first time, Bank of America said it made an error in calculating the volume it sent to the regulator, according to the report. Finra's data for the week of May 12-18 showed that Bank of America's Instinct X was the biggest dark pool of the major banks, handling 428 million shares. The second largest U.S. alternative trading system was shown to be Credit Suisse (CS), with 374 million shares, followed by Barclays (BCS) and UBS (UBS). According to a Bank of America spokesman quoted in the report, the bank expects its volume to be cut roughly in half once correctly calculated. Dark pools refer to trading venues that keep trading information private until the trades have been completed. Critics of alternative trading systems have said the platforms make markets less transparent. In New York, I'm Brittany Umar for TheStreet. -- Written by Brittany Umar in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV