That production growth, if Devon can achieve it, would translate into one of the highest rates of earnings growth in the industry.
Specifically, Wells Fargo points to the GeoSouthern deal as a driver of improving performance. After closing the deal with GeoSouthern assets in the Eagle Ford on Feb. 28, the pace of production has accelerated from 53 million barrels of oil equivalent a day (MBoe/d) to 64 MBoe/d. That acceleration makes Devon's second half guidance of 80-to-85 MBoe/d achievable, according to Wells Fargo.
Is There Another 20% Left?
So is there really opportunity for investors in Devon after a 20% year-to-date rise in 2014? Wells Fargo believes so."There is a lingering perception about Devon's assets, and we think outside of the dedicated energy funds, some of the long-only's and generalists are still catching up to its revamped portfolio," they state of the company's turnaround. Wells Fargo holds out a valuation range of between $85 and $90 a share for Devon Energy, an about 20% premium to current prices. Read More: Energy Transfer Equity The Best Way to Play US Gas Exports This Year Read More: Berkshire's Renewable Energy Investment to Hit $15 Billion Read More: Berkshire Hathaway's Next Elephant Acquisition -- Written by Antoine Gara in New York. Follow @AntoineGara
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV