NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- There are a number of great companies in the market today. Each month we screen for stocks with low price-to-earnings ratios, by using the ModernGraham Valuation Model.
In March, we found Ford
(FCX), Capital One
(UNM) and Gannett
(GHI). We found the same results in April. However, in May, we dropped two and added two to round out the five-lowest PEmg (price/normalized earnings) companies.
Each company has been determined to be suitable for the "Enterprising (or active, or aggressive) Investors". We also have tips for "Defensive (or passive) Investors." We define both types of investors here.
Discover Financial Services (New Find)
Discover Financial (DFS) is a company that is intriguing to enterprising investors but does not quite qualify for the Defensive Investor. It has a short history as a publicly traded company and has yet to establish the dividend history the defensive investor requires.
Enterprising investors, however, should feel comfortable proceeding with further research into the company and comparing it with peers such as Capital One and Wells Fargo (WFC).As for the valuation, Discover appears to be undervalued as its EPSmg (normalized earnings) is expected to increase to $4.51 this year from $1.78 in 2010. This growth more than supports the market's implied estimate of 1.96% earnings growth and leads our valuation model to return an estimate of intrinsic value that is well above the market price. (See the full valuation.) DFS data by YCharts
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV