A big part of Intel's failing in the last decade was that it lost the plot with Taiwanese OEMs, who wanted solutions they could build and sell, not "ecosystems" of hardware and software that required design and marketing.
The Asus Transformer Book that Asus Chairman Jonney Shih held this week at CompuTex is based closely on the new Intel design, dubbed Llama Mountain.
Intel's new approach faces a new threat from MediaTek, a Taiwanese company that owns no fabrication plants but whose smartphone chip designs seem to be driving Broadcom from that market.
MediaTek is making its first Computex appearance this week. It was hosting a cocktail reception as this story was written, and CEO Tsai Ming-Kai will have his own keynote tomorrow, overnight New York time, where he will talk about touch-enabled hardware and the Internet of Things, markets Intel is also targeting, according to Focus on Taiwan.So although Intel has hot new products and new friends in Taiwan, it's only a competitor in a market it once dominated. The question for those looking at Intel for growth isn't whether it can compete in a Windows and Android world, but whether it can win in one dominated by Apple. At the time of publication the author owned shares of AAPL. Follow @danablankenhorn This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff. >>Read More: Banks Face Serious Threat in the Second Half >>Read More: Greenberg: Apple's Latest Ad-Stravaganza
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV