June 2, 2014 – Nautilus Inc. (NYSE: NLS), a leader in innovative home fitness equipment, announced today that the United States Supreme Court issued a unanimous decision in support of requiring clarity in patent claims. The Supreme Court, in a 9 – 0 ruling, overturns a prior Federal Circuit Court of Appeals decision, and addresses the guidelines that are needed in order to prevent vague and overly broad patent claims from serving as a basis for unsubstantiated and meritless legal action.
“We asked the Supreme Court to accept this case because of our strong belief that the patent system is best served when patent claims are precise, definite, and certain. Ambiguous and indefinite patents stifle competition and encourage unnecessary litigation,” said Wayne Bolio, SVP, Law and Human Resources, Nautilus Inc. “We are gratified that the Supreme Court issued an opinion that addresses these concerns, which will benefit not only Nautilus Inc., but also numerous other companies facing similar circumstances. We believe this will, in turn, encourage innovation, whereas vaguely written patents encourage patent trolls and unnecessary litigation.”
“This ruling is long overdue and will foster innovation across all industries,” said Bruce Cazenave, CEO, Nautilus Inc. “It will help protect both Nautilus Inc. and all other companies from increasing, unnecessary, and costly patent litigation that is taxing our already overburdened court system.”
About Nautilus Inc.:Headquartered in Vancouver, Wash., Nautilus Inc. (NYSE: NLS) is a global fitness products company providing innovative, quality solutions to help people achieve a healthy lifestyle. With a brand portfolio including Nautilus ®, Bowflex ®, Schwinn ® and Universal ®, Nautilus markets innovative fitness products through direct and retail channels. Website: www.nautilusinc.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV