AKRON, Ohio, June 2, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- To coincide with the beginning of June – the traditional kickoff of summer travel – and a national tire care observance this week, The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company (NASDAQ: GT) is urging everyone to show a little TLC toward their tires.
The number of people expected to travel by car or motorcycle this summer is an increase over the period last year, according to the automobile group AAA.
Additionally, National Tire Safety Week, held during June 1-7, is a period that emphasizes the simple steps drivers can take to ensure their tires are in good working condition. Research reveals that motorists rank tires as the second-most important safety feature in vehicles next to brakes, yet many don't know how to properly check their tire inflation pressure.
Improper air pressure in tires can lead to a multitude of problems – from uneven and accelerated tire wear, to structural damage in a tire. An underinflated tire also has the potential to affect tire performance, including making a vehicle less fuel-efficient. With temperatures rising and vacation travel commencing, the attention given to the care and maintenance of tires should be heightened, according to Goodyear officials."Checking tires for proper inflation and tread condition is one of the most critical – and easiest – maintenance procedures for a consumer," said John Peer, vice president of Goodyear Retail. "It doesn't take much time or sophisticated equipment. Drivers can check their tires by themselves, or any of our retail outlets would be happy to provide the service." Goodyear-owned retail outlets and participating independent Goodyear retailers offer a service in which consumers can stop in without an appointment for a free tire check. This includes an inspection of the tread condition and tire inflation, with air added at no charge if the inflation level is down.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV