3 Ways We're Sacrificing for a Summer Vacation
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- With the calendar turned to June, thought turns to sunny beaches, cool mountains and lazy days nursing a lemonade without a care in the world.
Three-quarters of Americans are looking forward to a vacation this summer (176 million travelers in all), according to the latest American Express Spending & Savings Tracker. That figure is up from 69% last year and 59% from 2012, suggesting that Americans are feeling better about the economy, and maybe also need a break after one of the most volatile economic periods in U.S. history.
They may need to figure out a way to pay for their vacations, though.
"We are seeing that Americans are indeed spending more, but they are still being resourceful in order to cut costs where they can," says Claire Bennett, an executive vice president at American Express Travel. "Travelers are doing their homework and taking more time to plan, ensuring they get the best deal possible without sacrificing those little extras that make their trips special. Most will plan trips at least a month in advance and expect to visit an average five websites to find deals."How are we, as a nation, paying for all of this sun and fun? By cutting costs wherever possible and making choices that offer a reduced price tag on summer trips. That's what 90% of Americans plan to do this summer, according to Amex. Here's a look at how Americans are reducing the price of a vacation over the next 12 weeks:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV