No Matter Their Final Destination, Travelers Will Dig A Little Deeper In Their Wallets: Consumers Expect To Pay $1,246 Per Person On Average, Up 9% From Last Year, According To The Latest American Express Spending & Saving Tracker. (Photo: Business Wire)
More Americans will find relief from the heat this summer, with 75% planning a summer getaway (steadily rising from 69% in 2013 and 59% in 2012). In addition, nearly half of travelers plotting a trip to cool off at a beach, river or lake, according to the latest American Express Spending & Saving Tracker. More travelers will stay closer to home, with 70% planning to explore the U.S. this summer (vs. 65% in 2013), while 17% plan a trip overseas (on par with 2013), and a lucky 13% of travelers plan to do both (vs. 15% in 2013). No matter their final destination, travelers will dig a little deeper in their wallets: consumers expect to pay $1,246 per person on average, up 9% from last year.
"After a long and harsh winter, more Americans are pledging to hit the road this summer," said Claire Bennett, Executive Vice President at American Express Travel. "Travelers are doing their homework and taking more time to plan their trips, ensuring they get the best deal possible without sacrificing those little extras that make their trips special."
Have Vacation Days, Will TravelWith Americans receiving 14 vacation days per year on average, many plan to take advantage of the summer to utilize their time off for extended getaways: 69% are planning at least one full week trip this summer (vs. 66% in 2013) and a lucky 32% say they’ll get away for two weeks or longer (vs. 29% in 2013).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV