This Day On The Street
Continue to site
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

One Put, One Call Option To Know About for 3M

Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is 3M Co (MMM). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the January 2016 expiration for MMM. The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $90 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of $1.33. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 1.5% return against the $90 commitment, or a 0.9% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost).

Top YieldBoost MMM Puts »

Selling a put does not give an investor access to MMM's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless 3M Co sees its shares decline 36.9% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $88.67 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the $1.33 from $90), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 0.9% annualized rate of return.

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the January 2016 expiration, for shareholders of 3M Co (MMM) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.4% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $160 strike and collecting the premium based on the $4.50 bid, annualizes to an additional 1.9% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 4.3% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $160 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but MMM shares would have to climb 12.2% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 15.4% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

Top YieldBoost MMM Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for 3M Co, highlighting in green where the $90 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $160 strike in red:

1 of 2

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Real Money

More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.

Product Features:
  • Access to Jim Cramer's daily blog
  • Intraday commentary and news
  • Real-time trading forums
Only $49.95
14-Days Free
14-Days Free


Chart of I:DJI
DOW 16,890.84 -21.45 -0.13%
S&P 500 1,995.83 +15.91 0.80%
NASDAQ 4,757.2320 -33.92 -0.71%

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs