Second-quarter revenue reached $701 million, soaring 25% year over year on the back of strong wireless revenue, which came in stronger than expected. What was not a surprise, however, was the demand increase in Avago's FBAR filters (film bulk acoustic resonator ), which was due to LTE handset growth in China.
In terms of profits, the company delivered net income of $158 million, or 61 cents per share, up 35% year over year, topping last year's earnings per share of 45 cents. Gross margin was also strong at 51%, advancing more than 6% year over year.
Impressively, Avago was able to deliver a strong beat in every metric, even amid concerns about high-end mobile device saturation and low average selling prices. Until there are meaningful signs of slowing growth in these areas, the stock should continue to do well.
Given that the company expects a rebound in its industrial/auto segment, investors would be wise to consider Avago as a solid long-term play. With shares trading at around $71, investors should punch their ticket for $85, on the basis of long-term margin expansion and a boost for Apple's product refresh cycle.
At the time of publication, the author was long AAPL.Follow @Richard_WSPB
This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV