The Atlantic hurricane season is officially underway and while the potential for large coastal storms gets much of the attention, thunderstorms caused more property damage than any other type of storm over the course of last year according to the Insurance Information Institute.
Travelers’ recent risk indices suggest many Americans may not be prepared for severe weather of any type. As summer storm season begins, Travelers is urging individuals and business owners to prepare now to help minimize disruptions caused by the impact of severe weather.
“Planning for summer storms should go far beyond coastal areas, as weather-related events occurring during the summer months can affect anyone,” said Marty Henry, Senior Vice President, Risk Control at Travelers. “Taking steps to plan now can help a business maintain operations and can also help keep families and property safe in the event of severe weather.”
Travelers is offering a new, simple way for business owners to assemble their continuity plan that can be used to respond to weather or any event that could impact business operations. Called ABC- Go SM which contains four steps:
- Assessment of risk – Assess the vulnerability of your facility and rate the potential impact of an event on employees, property, operations and the environment.
- Business impact analysis – Identify the functions or processes that are necessary to provide goods and services to customers.
- Controls for prevention and mitigation – Develop a plan that provides controls for preventing incidents that threaten life, property, operations and the environment and mitigating the consequences of an event.
- Test, implement and adjust – Secure approvals and buy-in from management and employees, and train everyone on the plan so you are ready to Go when an event occurs.
- Create an evacuation plan that tells everyone where to go and how to keep in touch during an emergency.
- Build a content inventory to document the items in your home.
- Prepare a survival kit of things you might need if disaster strikes.
- Perform routine maintenance such as tree-trimming, gutter cleaning and debris removal around your home and make sure drains and sump pumps are clear.