It is the policy of urbanization that will drive this economic growth around the world; and for that, heavy engines are a necessary tool, while smartphones are a nice toy.
Engines power machines that construct buildings. Engines run the trucks, buses, locomotives and other vehicles needed for mass transportation -- consumers making $10 a day cannot afford a car. Engines run power plants that provide electricity to city-dwellers.
Cummins, Navistar and Caterpillar have a formidable economic moat.
Compare that to sector-disrupting high tech firms that have been founded in garages and dorm rooms. The barrier to entry is low.There is speculation that Amazon (AMZN) and Facebook (FB) will bring out smartphones. That kind of competition is not going to happen with a turbo diesel engine. And that's a major reason Warren Buffett eschews the technology area despite his close friendship with Bill Gates. Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A) (BRK.B) buys companies such as Burlington Northern Sante Fe Railroad and Lubrizol, the industrial lubricants firm, among others. It is also why investors should look to profit from global economic growth from heavy industry, not high technology. >>Read More: What to Expect From Apple at WWDC >>Read More: Apple iWatch Announcement Could Bring Revolutionary New Payment System >>Read More: Google to Launch Global High-Speed Internet Service Via Satellites: Report >>Read More: 10 Stocks Legendary Value Investor Benjamin Graham Would Buy Now At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV