HOUSTON, June 2, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Installing an ATM at a convenience store or petrol station increases loyalty, foot traffic and sales, according to a new survey of UK consumer habits commissioned by Cardtronics, Inc. (Nasdaq:CATM), the world's largest retail ATM owner and operator.
Findings from a newly published report demonstrate that by offering customers access to cash at the same time as purchasing gas, groceries or paying a bill, shop owners are more likely to encourage return visits and additional spend in-store. Moreover, cash is used as the primary payment method at local shops, with 90 percent of consumers choosing it over card payment.
"The Value of Cash" report, released today by Cardtronics and research company Populus, is based on first hand market research across the UK, and shows that just under three quarters of shoppers (74 percent) consider an ATM as an important service to have on-site.Jonathan Simpson-Dent, Managing Director of Cardtronics Europe, said: "We've always been given anecdotal evidence to suggest that an ATM is able to offer shop owners a boost to their business, but now for the first time, we've been able to prove and quantify it. We're pleased to share this customer insight and think it could become a central aspect of the business models for shop managers if they are looking to expand and grow." "It is perhaps not surprising that in an increasingly cash-rich and time-poor society, we want to achieve more than ever when we visit our local shop. By offering a diverse range of services to their customers, local shops remain a 'one shop' hit for the local community, and cash access is a central part of that customer experience." Over half (53 percent) of shoppers said they wouldn't come back to the site if the ATM was removed or broken. This could result in a loss of an average of £11.49 per customer who wouldn't return if the ATM wasn't there.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV