(FMI) released the
results of its decision analytics study earlier Saturday morning at the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) annual meeting, demonstrating 27.3% of doctors altered their prescriptions based on a FoundationOne diagnostic test. The study examined 132 patients with refractory, advance metastatic disease, where over half of the patients had tumors in the lung, breast, or colon. In addition, the effects were not isolated to one tumor type in that each of those three major groups saw the rate of switching over 20%.
Why does this matter?
As I noted last week, one of the keys challenges for Foundation Medicine going forward is gaining insurance reimbursement for the its cancer diagnostic test. Insurance companies will pay for Foundation's test if they determine there is clinical utility. An insurance company is simply not going pay for a diagnostic that does not either improve patient outcomes, physician decision making, or both.
Unlike a clinal trial that can have a relatively clear hurdle, there is not a predefined set of study outcomes that will convince payers to pay for a FoundationOne test. The company needs to compile results over time showing its diagnostic tests can positively affect the course of cancer treatments. Saturday's results were a good first step, but more studies will be needed.
Foundation Medicine also released new findings for pediatric cancers and adolescent/young adult patients on Monday.
Sobek is long Foundation Medicine.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV