NEW YORK, May 30, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Platts, a leading global energy, petrochemicals, metals and agriculture information provider, today issued its latest analysis and compilation of wholesale electricity sales by more than 500 entities in North America. The rankings appear in Megawatt Daily , Platts' flagship North American electricity publication, and include each company's market share and additional information on power sales.
Exelon Generation and Shell Energy North America are ranked first and second, respectively, based on the most recent data filed with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), which reflects sales in the third quarter of 2013. NRG Energy and NextEra Energy Resources jumped in the rankings to the third- and the fifth-largest sellers, respectively, up from 14 th and ninth in 2012. Calpine, already among the top sellers, ranked fourth in the third quarter of 2013.
The data, which Platts has been publishing for nearly 20 years, includes for the first time municipal utilities, consumer-owned electric cooperatives, and federally owned electric utilities, in addition to investor-owned electric utilities and power generators. These electricity sales rankings are published by Platts each quarter.
Federal regulators require the quarterly data to bring transparency to wholesale electricity markets, which play an important role in determining prices ultimately paid by consumers for electricity."Platts' detailed analysis brings transparency to FERC's raw data and makes it more accessible, understandable and applicable," said Paul Ciampoli, managing editor of Platts Megawatt Daily. "These rankings support and enhance our existing daily analysis and news coverage of numerous regional markets in both the U.S. and Canada." Platts also uses the FERC data to analyze the growing role of renewable energy in wholesale power markets, Ciampoli added.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV