According to Forbes, the Clippers were recently ranked 13th on the list of the National Basketball Association's most valuable franchises, worth an estimated $575 million. Ballmer is paying more than three times that amount.
What's more, his $2 billion offer is more than 15 times the Clippers estimated $128 million in revenue and 133 times operating profit of $15 million.Under normal circumstances, that would be considered a ridiculous deal. But admittedly, this is not normal, and Ballmer is paying a big price to rid the NBA of Donald Sterling. Furthermore, NBA franchises don't trade like stocks; sales are rare, and Ballmer has the wealth to make the deal happen. Investors who want exposure to an NBA team but don't have Ballmer's fortune can get it via ownership of Madison Square Garden (MSG), which owns the New York Knicks, the most valuable NBA franchise according to Forbes. The Knicks are worth an estimated $1.4 billion. Putting the team on par with the revenue and operating income multiples that Ballmer is paying for the Clippers would make the Knicks worth $4.3 billion (in terms of revenue) or $12.76 billion (in terms of operating profit). Those valuations may be ridiculous in their own right, but if the Clippers are worth $2 billion, the Knicks should fetch considerably more in a sale.
MSG data by YCharts
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV