And although Farah has not signaled he will do anything but retire, there have been suggestions that he may head to J.C. Penney (JCP) or Target (TGT). These suggestions may be more likely to pan out and are completely warranted.
The two distressed retailers could certainly use a new leader, although Mike Ullman, the former, and now once again CEO for J.C. Penney, seems to have figured things out for the time being.
With that being said, and of course, this would be adding to the speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Farah join the tech world via a position at Apple.The Cupertino, Calif.-based technology giant has been adding fashion leaders and executives to its employee list since last year, clearly making sure that whatever it releases, functions well and looks cool too. It's good Apple is doing this, especially if it is working on a wearable device. An iWatch for example, is different than having a phone. It's something consumers wear, it's an accessory. So its looks are almost as important, if not more important, than its functionality. With the amount of money Apple has, it can recruit whoever it thinks may be necessary. And in the apparel-technology world, it's likely better to be safe, rather than sorry. Farah to Apple may be an unlikely scenario, but just don't consider it surprising if you see the headlines in the not-too-distant future. >>Read More: 3 Reasons to Utterly Ignore the Bad News on Consumer Spending -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell At the time of publication the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV