The 10 Most Obese States in America
NEW YORK (TheStreet) --Ever notice when you turn on your local TV news there almost always seems to be some story on how to battle obesity? The anchors are usually telling you about some miracle fat burning diet plan, endorsed by a celebrity doctor, or they are trying to scare the bejesus out of you by linking anything they can think of to the causes of obesity.
It doesn't take a genius to figure out that poor diet, lack of exercise and other physical activities, genetic causes, as well as social and environmental factors can all play a role in causing someone to become alarmingly overweight.
Outside of the U.S. many people have the preconceived notion that we are a nation filled with donut loving, pizza munching, exercise hating citizens who'd rather sit on the couch and watch other people play poker on TV than actually go outside and do something active.
This is simply not true, however that doesn't mean that there aren't certain places in the country where the obesity rate is high.Recently, obesity was recognized as a disease by the American Medical Association and can cause a wide variety of health issues such as coronary heart disease, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, cancer, joint pain, and it can even cause a stroke. Of America's 50 states, 10 stand out as having the highest obesity rates. The following is a list of 2013's 10 fattest states based on a report by Gallup...
10. Oklahoma Obesity Rate: 30.5% Last year it was reported that more than one in 10 people from this state were considered obese. One factor that may be contributing to the obesity rate there is the population's poor eating habits. According to 24/7wallst.com less than 59% of residents said they eat healthy on a daily basis.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts