NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- TheStreet's Jim Cramer says Tyson Foods (TSN) needs Hillshire Brands (HSH) and that the former's $6.1 billion offer for the latter is all about "critical mass" in supermarkets.
When competing against companies such as Safeway (SWY) and Kroger (KR), supermarkets need to be able to stand out as big and important. Cramer says this is what is driving many of these deals in the supermarket space.
On a related note, Cramer suggests watching Pinnacle Foods (PF), which seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle of all these deals after Hillshire announced it would acquire the company. Cramer also thinks Hillshire is too high and does not want to chase it at this point. Pinnacle, on the other hand, has fallen too low.
WATCH: More market update videos on TheStreet TV | More videos from Jim Cramer
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV