NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Sprint Nextel (S) shares are up 2.9% to $9.47 on Thursday following reports that the telecom company's parent company, Softbank Corp (SFTBY), had come to terms on an agreement to buy T-Mobile (TMUS) from Deutsche Telekom AG (DTEGY).
Deutsche Telekom has declined to comment on the reports so far, but Japanese news agency Kyodo is reporting that Deutsche Telekom accepted a bid from Softbank for its controlling share of T-Mobile, citing industry sources.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Sprint and T-Mobile are the third and fourth largest mobile carriers in the United States and thus would need to clear FCC regulatory hurdles before any deal could be consummated.
T-Mobile shares are also up 2.1% in trading today.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV