NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Sanderson Farms Inc. (SAFM) are up 3.81% to $87.66 in pre-market trade after the poultry producer reported second fiscal quarter results and six months ended April 30, 2014.
Net sales for the second quarter of fiscal 2014 were $660.7 million compared with $621.2 million for the same period a year ago. For the quarter, net income was $51.0 million, or $2.21 per share, compared with net income of $24.4 million, or $1.06 per share, for the second quarter of fiscal 2013.
"The results for our second quarter of fiscal 2014 reflect lower grain costs and continued favorable demand for poultry products," said Joe F. Sanderson, Jr., chairman and CEO of Sanderson Farms, Inc.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 503.22% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 28.48% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, SAFM should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- SANDERSON FARMS INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, SANDERSON FARMS INC increased its bottom line by earning $5.67 versus $2.34 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($7.23 versus $5.67).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Food Products industry. The net income increased by 515.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$6.94 million to $28.87 million.
- SAFM's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.06 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.32, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Food Products industry and the overall market, SANDERSON FARMS INC's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts