Bulls Are Coming Back to Xilinx
OptionMonster's tracking programs detected the purchase of 7,200 September 50 calls Thursday, most of which priced for 77 cents to 80 cents. Volume was more than triple the strike's previous open interest of 1,956 contracts, indicating that this is fresh buying.
Long calls lock in the price were a stock can be purchased, letting investors position for a rally with limited risk. The contracts can also generate significant upside leverage, but they will expire worthless if shares remain below $50 through mid-September.
Xilinx rose 0.45% to $46.86 on Thursday. The system-on-a-chip manufacturer peaked above $55 in March but fell to $45 following a poor earnings report, roughly the same price level where it peaked in 2013 and early this year. It was also resistance all the way back in 2002, which could make some chart watchers expect it to provide support now.Total option volume in the name was quadruple its daily average for the last month, with calls outnumbering puts by a bullish 28-to-1 ratio. Russell has no positions in XLNX.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV