Many venture firms style themselves as entrepreneur-friendly. Some truly are. But too often they act as though their real allegiance is elsewhere -- their limited partners, their desire to be associated with the next Facebook (FB), the hope to look smart in front of other venture capitalists. It's regrettable that TheFunded, a Yelp (YELP) for venture firms, has receded in the last few years. Hopefully we'll find new mechanisms to call malignant investors to account.
In the meantime, entrepreneurs must beware of malignant capital. It can come with brand names, high IQs, and great Rolodexes. But unlike passive capital or the dreaded "dumb money," it can severely undermine great companies.
Dan Mindus is a FundersClub Panel Member. He is also an Investment Director at CIT GAP Funds, where he manages initial company screening, due diligence, and deal structuring. Dan serves at the board level on 15 CIT GAP Funds portfolio companies. Dan is also the Founder of NextGen Angels, an angel club for DC area investors who are 40 and younger. In 2013 Dan was included in Washingtonian magazine's list of 100 DC Tech Titans. Dan started his career at the Gerson Lehrman Group, an investment research firm in New York City. Dan holds a BA from Yale and an MBA from Harvard Business School.
To learn more about startup investing visit www.fundersclub.com.>>Read More: Jim Cramer: 3D Systems Is Just Duplicating Stock >>Read More: Apple Buys Beats: What Wall Street's Saying >>Read More: Apple and Tim Cook Critics, It's Time to Shut Up >>Read More: Sozzi: 5 Secrets Costco Uses to Drive Profits for Investors At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV