Money Matters When Choosing a Mate, but Sense of Humor Matters More
NEW YORK (BankingMyWay) -- Financial stability is a big issue for any adult. For many singles, though, financial stability isn't the most significant issue when choosing a romantic partner, although it certainly ranks highly.
No, the No. 1 factor when looking for a mate is comedy.
So says Bank of America in its latest Merrill Edge Report, which tracks money management trends among affluent Americans.
The report says the range of issues that affect the financial end of relationships "vary widely," but that having a sense of humor (named by 74% of study participants) and chemistry (66%) rank well ahead of financial stability (at 49%) in priorities applied when selecting a relationship partner.Overall, 75% of women rank a sense of humor highest on their list for choosing a mate, just ahead of 73% for men. leading factor in divorces in the U.S. "Arguments about money is by far the top predictor of divorce," said Sonya Britt, a professor of family studies at the University of Kansas, which tracked the issue in a study last year. "It's not children, sex, in-laws or anything else. It's money -- for both men and women." "In the study, we controlled for income, debt and net worth," Britt added. "Results revealed it didn't matter how much you made or how much you were worth. Arguments about money are the top predictor for divorce because it happens at all levels." In that regard, seeing humor ranking higher than money in relationships is surprising, although the men and women don't necessarily rate the two issues the same way.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV