SANTA TERESA, N.M., May 28, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Union Pacific Chairman and CEO Jack Koraleski joined New Mexico Governor Susana Martinez in a grand-opening ceremony celebrating the newest facility on the railroad's 23-state network. The 2,200 acre site, which officially opened April 1, will create value for Union Pacific customers and produce greater logistics efficiencies along Union Pacific's critical Sunset Route, the rail line running 760 miles from El Paso, Texas, to Los Angeles.
Located just west of the Santa Teresa Airport, Union Pacific's Santa Teresa rail facility includes a fueling station, crew change buildings, and an intermodal ramp with an annual lift capacity of around 225,000 containers. The southern region of New Mexico is now a strategic focal point where shippers can leverage the economic and environmental benefits of shipping freight by rail.
"Our new rail facility in New Mexico is a key part of our relentless effort to create value for our customers through safety, service and efficiency," Koraleski said. "Union Pacific's $400 million investment in New Mexico will improve the fluidity and efficiency of the Union Pacific network and will have a positive long-term economic impact in the region."
Facility construction created 3,000 jobs during the build phase from 2011 to 2014. The site will be home to 300-600 permanent jobs once the facility reaches full capacity. The project's estimated overall economic impact to New Mexico exceeds $500 million, with Union Pacific's investment highlighting the company's commitment to enhancing the nation's transportation infrastructure and setting the standard for outstanding customer service.Union Pacific is planning to invest approximately $4.1 billion in 2014 – capital investment that is part of a long-term strategy to provide safe, efficient service across its 32,000 mile network. About Union Pacific
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV