NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Ballard Power Systems Inc. (BLDP) are higher by 11.04% to $3.62 today as the energy sector gets a boost from the positive analysts notes FuelCell Energy Inc. (FCEL) and First Solar Inc. (FSLR) received from analysts at Stifel Financial Corp. (SF).
The firm reinitiated coverage on the stocks with "buy" ratings, theflyonthewall.com reports.
In regards to FuelCell, Stifel said the company's fuel cell power plant solution is more attractive following a decline in the cost of electricity generated by the product.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Speaking about First Solar, Stifel said the company is in a position to exploit the growth of solar energy around the globe. The analyst is expecting the company to benefit from its U.S. solar energy projects.FuelCell is up 7.62% to $2.40 and First Solar is up 1.56% to $62.22 today. Another energy company seeing a boost from the positive analyst note is Plug Power (PLUG) which is up 5.75% to $4.23. TheStreet Ratings team rates BALLARD POWER SYSTEMS INC as a Sell with a ratings score of D-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate BALLARD POWER SYSTEMS INC (BLDP) a SELL. This is driven by a few notable weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. Among the areas we feel are negative, one of the most important has been poor profit margins." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The gross profit margin for BALLARD POWER SYSTEMS INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 25.23%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -25.16% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Electrical Equipment industry and the overall market, BALLARD POWER SYSTEMS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- BLDP's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.14 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, BLDP has a quick ratio of 2.34, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to -$6.64 million or 5.14% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -6.57%.
- This stock has increased by 182.75% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the future course of this stock, we feel that the risks involved in investing in BLDP do not compensate for any future upside potential, despite the fact that it has seen nice gains over the past 12 months.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: BLDP Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV