Valeant upped the offer to $58.30 a share in cash from $48.30 a share and also included a contingent value right that could be worth an additional $7.6 billion. The stock portion of the offer stayed the same at 0.83 shares of Valeant for each share of Allergan.
The offer values Allergan at $49.44 billion, or $166.16 a share as of Tuesday's closing price of $165.02. This is approximately 8.6% greater than the previous bid of $47 billion, or $153 a share, on April 22 when Valeant and activist investor William Ackman first made an offer. Allergan rebuffed that proposal and said the Canadian company had overstated potential savings from the deal.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. The stock was down 4.25% to $158 at 11:48 a.m. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
WATCH: More market update videos on TheStreet TV | More videos from Jim Cramer
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV