ST. HELENA, Calif., May 28, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Silicon Valley Bank, a leading provider of commercial banking services to the innovation sector and the wine industry, released a new study, "Ownership Transitions in the Wine Industry," today. Based on a survey of 646 West Coast wineries, the report finds that 31% of wineries from California, Oregon and Washington would consider selling under the right circumstances, and of those 10.5% are strongly considering a sale or are hopeful a sale will take place.
The study is a follow-up to a similar report released in 2008 by Silicon Valley Bank and Scion Advisors that predicted 50 percent of West Coast fine wine businesses would transition to new ownership by 2018.
"If you're in the market for a winery as a commercial entity or a family business, there's never been a better time," said Rob McMillan, founder of Silicon Valley Bank's Wine Division and author of the report. "The current pace of ownership transitions in the last - and next - few years is the highest the West Coast wine industry has ever seen. There are plenty of opportunities for strategic buyers to acquire labels and production capacity, and for high net worth individuals to find their own place in the fine wine business."
Key findings from Ownership Transitions in the Wine Industry 2014:
- 10.5% of West Coast wineries are likely to sell in the next five years. Extrapolating from these results, 524 West Coast wineries are strongly considering a sale within the next five years*.
- The number of wineries considering a sale is roughly split between commercial wineries and lifestyle properties.
- Wineries in Washington State are more likely to be sold in the near term versus other regions.
- 31% of wineries are open to a sale under the right circumstances. Though that represents a record number of wineries, the percentage has dropped from 51% in a 2008 survey conducted by Silicon Valley Bank, indicating the industry is partially through the predicted transition.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts