NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- India Globalization Capital (IGC) stock is soaring on news it has executed a letter of intent to acquire Golden Gate, a Hong Kong-based trading company. The company proposed to acquire 51% of Golden Gate in exchange for around 1.2 million shares of its common stock to be paid out in four tranches over three years.
The company said it expects the acquisition to close in the current quarter and be accretive to earnings immediately. In its most recent financial year ended March, Golden Gate generated unaudited revenue of around $10 million. The proposed deal is subject to negotiation and execution of a definitive acquisition agreement.
By market open, shares had popped 23.7% to $1.83.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Construction & Engineering industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 199.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $0.31 million to -$0.31 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$0.45 million or 130.14% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 29.20%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 140.00% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- INDIA GLOBALIZATION CAPITAL has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, INDIA GLOBALIZATION CAPITAL continued to lose money by earning -$0.20 versus -$3.10 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 10.0% in earnings (-$0.22 versus -$0.20).
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Construction & Engineering industry and the overall market, INDIA GLOBALIZATION CAPITAL's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: IGC Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV