LEXINGTON, Ky., May 28, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Neogen Corporation (Nasdaq: NEOG) announced today that independent laboratory results have shown two of its agricultural disinfectants are effective against the deadly porcine epidemic diarrhea virus (PEDv).
The independent study showed that Neogen's DC&R ® Disinfectant and BioSentry BioPhene™ Disinfectant demonstrated "complete inactivation" of the PEDv organism when tested in accordance with current Good Laboratory Practice protocols commonly used to evaluate disinfectants. The study's test results meet the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) criteria for a virucidal label claim; the label claim is now pending the agency's approval.
"While the results were expected, the independent validation of the efficacy shown by our disinfectants to kill, or inactivate, the porcine epidemic diarrhea virus should further strengthen producers' confidence in their use against the virus," said Terri Morrical, Neogen's vice president of Animal Safety. "It is estimated that seven million baby pigs have been lost to the virus in the U.S. in the past year. This validation of the effectiveness of our disinfectants comes at a critical time for the swine industry."PEDv can devastate a population of nursing pigs, with mortality approaching 100%, and can significantly impact the performance of adult pigs. The virus is not transmissible to humans and does not affect food safety. However, it is estimated the disease will cut pork production as much as 7%. This reduction is already becoming evident in the retail meat counter. Neogen's disinfectants shown to be effective against PEDv:
- DC&R Disinfectant, EPA Reg. No. 61282-59, is a unique vapor phase disinfectant with a neutral pH, and is non-corrosive.
- BioSentry BioPhene Disinfectant, EPA Reg. No. 61282-53, is a phenolic derivative disinfectant that is effective on hard surfaces, and other areas where organic load may be an issue in and around farm premises.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts