If I had to predict which the winners are going to be in this competitive space, I would have to bet the ranch on Samsung and Apple.
The CEO of Sony, Kazuo Hirai stated, "As we strengthen our entertainment and financial operations, we will implement the transformation of our core electronics areas to ensure growth from 2015 on." We've seen Sony over-promise when it comes to guidance in previous years. Therefore, I'm not really sure if Sony will become profitable. 2014 was supposed to be the year in which Sony would leverage its growing smartphone business, shutter non-performing operations, and come away with incremental earnings growth.
I'm starting to think Sony's handset division will have trouble penetrating into developed markets. In the most recent fiscal quarter, the mobile products and communication segment declined by 9% in constant currency. Meanwhile, in the first quarter of 2014, the smartphone market grew shipments by 28.6% year-over-year, according to IDC.Gone are the days in which Sony could launch a product and rely on its brand to generate sales. It actually has to compete for business, which is something it doesn't seem to be very good at. >>Read More: Helping Apple Haters Understand Why Android Is Doomed >>Read More: How the iPad Can Get Even Bigger >>Read More: Target Doesn't Have Gregg Steinhafel to Kick Around Anymore >>Read More: US Bancorp Is the Best Big Bank That Everyone Should Be Talking About At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV