India's Bull Market Is a Better Bet for Your Investment Dollars
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- U.S. stock market returns have been treading water for the year to date, with the Dow Jones industrials up just 0.18% for the year, while the Nasdaq is up only 0.22% (as of Friday's close.).
U.S. small-caps, last year's runaway asset class, rallied last week but it is still one of the worst-performing asset classes this year, down 4.15%.
Here is a current scorecard of where the various asset classes stand for the year to date:
U.S. economic growth continues to be muted, even factoring in weather-related weakness in the first quarter. This is one of the factors spurring a rally in bonds this year as investors now appear more concerned with recession than the prospect of higher interest rates.Better Opportunities in India So given the slow-growth environment here in the U.S., I continue to look for better opportunities abroad. One country with superior prospects for growth is India. India just recently elected a pro-business government that is expected to drive market-friendly economic reforms. India's new leader, Nehendra Modi, was the chief minister of an extremely progressive State of Gujarat for the past 12 plus years. It is hoped that Modi can take his successful regional model and apply it to a very bureaucratic and corrupt national government system. It will not be easy, but the Bombay market is beginning to take off in anticipation of better days ahead.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV