NEW YORK (The Deal)-- Shares of Hillshire Brands (HSH) surged more than 20% Tuesday morning after Pilgrim's Pride (PPC) revealed a $6.4 billion deal to acquire the packaged foods company, a move that it hopes will prevent the target's pending agreement to buy Pinnacle Foods (PF).
Pilgrim's, a chicken-producing powerhouse based in Greeley, Colo., disclosed Tuesday a preliminary, nonbinding proposal to acquire Hillshire for $45 per share in cash, or 12.5 times the target's trailing adjusted Ebitda as of March 29. The deal is valued at $6.4 billion, including debt, Pilgrim's said.
The offer represent's a 21.6% premium over the company's closing stock price of $37.02 on Friday. The premium works out to about 25% over the weighted average over the past 10 trading days.Shares of Hillshire, trading on the New York Stock Exchanges as HSH, rallied about 21.6% midmorning to $45 following the announcement. "As you are well aware, it has long been our desire to acquire [Hillshire]," Pilgrim's CEO William Lovette wrote in a publicly released letter addressed to Hillshire CEO Sean Connolley, noting that the two parties had met on Feb. 20. Pilgrim's bid comes about two weeks after Chicago-based Hillshire agreed to purchase Parsippany, N.J.-based Pinnacle Foods from Blackstone Group (BX) for $6.6 billion. The new offer is contingent on Hillshire ending its pursuit of Pinnacle. The Deal Pipeline reported last week that the widening spread in the Hillshire-Pinnacle deal led arbitrage investors to speculate that Hillshire was a potential takeover target. Eminence Capital has reportedly decided to vote against the deal for Pinnacle. The New York hedge fund owns approximately 1.1% of Hillshire.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV