3M today releases its 2014 Sustainability Report, highlighting its new Sustainability Center of Excellence, results of a global stakeholder survey and case studies on its sustainability-focused products.
The report features a more user-friendly experience and interactive content, and includes an executive summary of the company’s strategy, a description of key global sustainability challenges, and an overview of progress toward the U.N. Global Compact’s 10 principles. 3M has published a sustainability report in alignment with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) framework since 2002.
“Sustainability is fundamental to 3M’s culture and is a vital part of our innovation process,” said Gayle Schueller, vice president, 3M Global Sustainability. “By partnering with our customers to better understand these global challenges, and by empowering the passion and expertise of the nearly 90,000 3Mers around the world, we are creating technologies and products that drive real change and real impact toward making a better future.”
Highlights from the report include:
- The formation of the Sustainability Center of Excellence which accelerates the integration of sustainability into business strategies across the company.
- Recognition from U.S. EPA Energy Star Sustained Excellence Program for the 10 th consecutive year, an industry first.
- Donations of more than $61 million in cash and products to non-profit organizations in 2013.
- Included and recognized by the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the 14 th consecutive year — listed on the DJSI World and North America index every year since its inception.
- Case studies featuring the company’s sustainability-focused products, including energy-efficient films for tablets, air-barrier building solutions and Post-it® Super Sticky Greener Notes.
- Current sustainability progress:
- Reduction of greenhouse gas emissions by 57 percent (absolute) from 2002-2013 baseline - nearly 100 million metric tons indexed to net sales.
- Recycling or reusing approximately 50 percent of total waste generated annually.
- Water conservation plans in place for 3M sites located in water stressed/scarce areas.
- 80 percent of supplier-spend reviewed in top 10 high-risk countries for alignment with 3M sustainability supplier policies on social and environmental expectations.