NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- BioCryst Pharmaceuticals (BCRX) rose Tuesday after the company announced its experimental drug for treating a rare immune disorder was effective in decreasing the disease's attacks in a mid-stage trial.
The trial compared the drug, BCX4161, to a placebo and tested it in patients with hereditary angioedema (HAE), a genetic disease that manifests with sudden attacks of swelling of the skin or the mucous membranes. The attacks can disfigure, cause pain and could even threaten patients' lives.
The results showed those treated with the drug had an average of 0.82 attacks per week, compared to 1.27 attacks per week for those given a placebo.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. The stock was up 8.83% to $9.80 at 11:17 a.m. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV