The 5 p.m. deadline to make a deal approached without indication that AstraZeneca would change its mind about a takeover, and Pfizer decided to walk away after a month-long, public back-and-forth with the British pharmaceutical company two hours before the deadline. British rules mandate a cool-down period between the two sides.
This was the third time Pfizer had sweetened the deal and increased the price, and many investors believed the $118 billion mark would facilitate a deal or at least force AstraZeneca to seriously consider the offer.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. Goldman Sachs also reinstated coverage on Pfizer with a "buy" rating and set a $35 price target. The stock was up 0.36% to $29.59 at 11 a.m. Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates PFIZER INC as a "buy" with a ratings score of B+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate PFIZER INC (PFE) a BUY. This is driven by some important positives, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, reasonable valuation levels, good cash flow from operations, expanding profit margins and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.48, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. To add to this, PFE has a quick ratio of 1.75, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $2,935.00 million or 30.96% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of 10.54%.
- PFIZER INC' earnings per share from the most recent quarter came in slightly below the year earlier quarter. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PFIZER INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.65 versus $1.20 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.24 versus $1.65).
- The gross profit margin for PFIZER INC is currently very high, coming in at 86.04%. Regardless of PFE's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, PFE's net profit margin of 20.61% compares favorably to the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: PFE Ratings Report
WATCH: More market update videos on TheStreet TV
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV