NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- X-Men: Days of Future Past dominated the box office over the long holiday weekend, pulling in $111 million and knocking Godzilla to second place.
X-Men: Days of Future Past dominated the box office over the long holiday weekend, pulling in $111 million.That makes it the second-best weekend for the franchise, behind only the opening weekend of X-Men: The Last Stand in 2006. 20th Century Fox is reporting another $191 million internationally this weekend, making the studio $302 million in ticket sales worldwide. That means Godzilla, of Time Warner's (TWX) Warner Brothers, was knocked to second place this weekend. The film took in $39.4 million at the U.S. box office from Friday through Monday. While that's a 66% drop from its opening weekend numbers, when the Memorial Day holiday is excluded, Godzilla still made more in its $93.1 million opening than the $90.7 million X-Men made this Friday through Sunday. But according to Bruce Nash of The Numbers, with summer on the way and good reviews, the X-Men franchise's record domestic box office is under threat, and Days of Future Past will definitely become X-Men's biggest performer worldwide. In New York, I'm Brittany Umar reporting for TheStreet. -- Written by Brittany Umar in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV