NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Samsung (SSNLF) is said to be working on a new smart watch that will operate as a standalone phone, and is planning on unveiling the device in the next few months, the Wall Street Journal reports.
Unlike the smart watches currently on the market, this new watch/phone from Samsung will be able to make and receive phone calls without having to be connected to a smartphone.
The South Korean company is currently the top seller of smartphones and is in talks with U.S., European, and South Korean telecom carries regarding the new gadget, the Journal said.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Those familiar with the project told the WSJ the smart watch will run on "Tizen," Samsung's "homegrown" operating system, which was co-developed with Intel Corp. (INTC).SSNLF data by YCharts
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV